Thursday, October 18, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe 14- Apple Squash Soup

My favorite time of year has arrived.  I love Fall.  I REALLY love the food in the Fall- squash, apples, pears, pumpkins, potatoes, etc...All so comforting and yummy.  This soup makes good use of seasonal produce (something I have an abundance of right now thanks to my CSA!).  It is also REALLY easy to throw together- another bonus on a busy school night.  To start, all you do is saute some onion in grapeseed oil until soft.  Then you add in some cubed butternut squash, cubed apples, a quart of vegetable stock, some rice milk, coconut milk, and ground nutmeg.  This just simmers in the pot for about 20 minutes, or until all the squash is softened.  Puree with an immersion blender, season with salt and pepper, and you are good to go.  I love the simplicity of this dish- it is crazy easy.  I also like the clean, simple flavor of the soup.  It isn't crowded with heavy spices- just a touch of nutmeg does the trick.  (Some of these kinds of soups can have curry, cayenne, cinnamon etc...I find that really takes over and clouds the pure flavor of the squash.)  The one thing I don't like about it- it's pureed.  I'm not a huge fan of pureed soups (it's a texture thing), but I did like this soup better than some other pureed squash soups I've tried.  If you have very little time to fuss with cooking and you have an abundance of Fall produce, this is the soup for you!

My rating- 7

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete