Thursday, October 18, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe 15- Skillet Cornbread

Ahh, cornbread.  Who doesn't love cornbread?  It is one of my favorite foods to make this time of year and it goes especially well with soups and stews.  I have an abundance of peppers and fresh corn right now, so I decided to make this as the side dish for the Apple Squash Soup the other night.  It's very simple to throw together and bakes up in a cast iron skillet in about 20 minutes, so you don't have to wait long to enjoy it.  You follow the basic pattern for baking- first combine the dry ingredients (corn flour, cornmeal, unbleached all-purpose flour*, powdered egg replacer, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).  Then, you combine all the wet ingredients and veggies (rice milk, maple syrup, extra-virgin olive oil, jalepeno, red bell pepper, and fresh corn).  Mix the wet into the dry and the batter is done.  This gets poured into an oiled and preheated cast iron skillet and baked for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.  If you want to jazz it up a bit you can add in some cheddar flavor Daiya shreds too.  The batter comes out VERY thick- almost too thick.  I knew this was an indication that the final product might be a little off.  Unfortunately, it was.  The flavor in this recipe was good, and I love the pop of the fresh corn, but it was SUPER dry and crumbly in texture- not what you want in cornbread.  The texture really ruined it for me- it was just so dry that it really needed to be slathered in earth balance just to get it down- it was rough.  I think this recipe just needs some tweaking to add back some moisture- it just cannot be eaten as written.  For now, I think I'll stick with Alicia Silverstone's recipe for cornbread in The Kind Diet- that is DELICIOUS!

My rating- 4.5

*I used brown rice flour instead since I am currently avoiding gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment