Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe 11- Green Beans and Sweet Corn with Summer Vinaigrette

This summer has been my first summer that I have been a member of a CSA (community supported agriculture- see below to find a CSA near you!) and I am just absolutely loving it.  Every week I get unbelievably fresh ingredients that inspire me to find ways to use them up.  All my cooking lately is 100% seasonal ingredients and I just love cooking and living this way.  Last week I was inspired by the green beans, cherry tomatoes, and sweet corn from my local CSA.  I found this recipe and I knew that this was what I HAD to make!  It's incredibly easy and really yummy.  To start you steam the corn for about 5 minutes until tender.  While the corn cools you drop about 2 pounds of green beans into the steamer and steam those for 3 minutes.  When the corn is cool you scrape the kernels off the cob.  Then you toss the green beans, corn, and halved cherry tomatoes together in a big bowl.  Make a speedy vinaigrette that consists of olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon thyme, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.  Pour this over the veggies, toss and serve.  How simple is that?  This is a great usage of fresh, seasonal ingredients and it's a really refreshing salad.  A departure from plain old greens, that's for sure.  My favorite part of this recipe is the contrast between the sweet bursts of corn and the acidity from the vinegar and lemon- it's so good!  My advice though would be to make this salad a day ahead- the leftovers taste even better!  The veggies really marinate and soak up that vinaigrette, making them so flavorful, but they still stay nice and crispy.  It's the perfect balance!

My rating- 8 (it's not higher solely because I am not a huge fan of green beans, but an 8 for a recipe with green beans is really good for me!)

Link to find great farms and CSA's near you-    www.localharvest.org

No comments:

Post a Comment