Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 25- My Favorite Cupcakes

These little beauties were my splurge recipe last week.  I don't make cupcakes often because I simply find them hard to resist, and these were no different from any non-vegan cupcake I've made.  They are as easy as any cupcake recipe to whip up and they are SO worth it- you must give them a try!  To start you curdle some hemp milk with a little bit of apple cider vinegar.  Once it curdles and bubbles a bit you add in agave nectar, safflower oil, and vanilla.  In another bowl you mix the dry ingredients- whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.  Mix the wet into the dry and you're ready to make cupcakes!  (This recipe makes 12.)  My favorite part again is licking the bowl once I get the cupcakes in the oven- no eggs, no worries!  Once the cupcakes are done you cool them on a baking rack to room temperature (the cupcakes only need about 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven).  When they are cool you can make the frosting (the best part, in my opinion!).  This frosting is rich and fudgy- it is intensely chocolatey and I love it!  It's so simple too- just cream together some earth balance butter and some agave nectar with an electric mixture to begin.  Then goes in some vanilla and cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate cocoa powder- it added SO much chocolate flavor!).  Once these are all mixed well and the frosting is smooth you add in some soy milk powder. This gets whipped until fluffy and then you are ready to frost some yummy cupcakes!  These are simply delicious- my kids and my hubby gobbled them up and would never know they are vegan.  This recipe would be great for a party where you have vegans and non-vegans alike (they would be great for a kid party too!)- everyone will love these, they are a crowd-pleaser.  For an even MORE decadent dessert, serve these with some non-dairy ice cream!  WOWZA!  Alicia did it again with another wonderful dessert- thanks Alicia, I LOVE these!!!

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment