Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 26- Peach Crumble

So last week I was given a HUGE bag of fresh peaches from my local farm CSA and I've been doing all sorts of things to use these up this week.  I still had a few left over today and decided to use them up in this recipe.  I've been waiting for peach season just so I could make this recipe, so I was really excited to try it out.  To start you simply combine fresh peach slices and some fresh blueberries in a baking pan.  Then you make a filling mixture on the stove top.  This starts by heating up some apple juice.  While that heats you mix some kuzu starch into a little more apple juice until it dissolves.  (Kuzu is basically used in place of corn starch in this recipe, so you treat it the same way.)  The kuzu mixture along with some lemon juice gets mixed into the hot apple juice and you bring this to a boil.  Let it simmer 2 minutes, then take it off heat and add in a pinch of sea salt and some vanilla.  Pour this over the fresh fruit and you are ready to move on to the best part- the crumble!  I really like the technique in this part.  You actually start off by toasting the oats, spelt/barley/or brown rice flour, sea salt, and cinnamon together in a skillet.  You do this until it's fragrant, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, you heat up some safflower oil, maple syrup, and brown rice syrup in another pan.  (The recipe calls for 3/4 cup brown rice syrup and 1/4 cup maple syrup.  I only had maple syrup on hand and didn't feel like going across town to get brown rice syrup, so I used 3/4 cup maple syrup in this recipe today.)  Once the oat mixture is toasted you add in the maple syrup mixture and mix them together.  Add 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts and you are ready to top the crumble and get it in the oven.  It bakes covered (at 350 degrees) for the first 30 minutes, and then uncovered for another 15 or so.  The end result is very pretty and very yummy.  This recipe has a THICK layer of crumble and I love that about it.  I also like the combination of peaches and blueberries- it breaks up the monotony a little.  The topping wasn't quite as crunchy as I hoped for, but it's really, really good (literally HALF the thickness of the dish!) and I know that I'll be making this every summer when peach season rolls around.  I just served this simply with a bit of soy whip on top- so pretty!  Another dessert from Alicia that I really like- this girl knows her desserts, they do not disappoint!

My rating- 9

No comments:

Post a Comment