Thursday, July 5, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe #2- Pesto Pasta Salad

I have to start this by saying that I am absolutely IN LOVE with this cookbook.  It revolves around eating seasonal, fresh, veggies and fruits and I have been diving into the summer chapter this past week and I LOVE it!  I am a member of a fruit and vegetable CSA in my area and this is such a great cookbook to go to when I need quick ideas on how to use up summer's bounty.  We went to a cookout at a friend's house yesterday and I brought this delicious pasta salad.  I absolutely ADORE pesto and I grow basil in my own garden, so it's always a great way to use it up, but I've never made a vegan pesto before.  It was just as easy and delicious as the original recipe.  Simply combine in a food processor the following: garlic, fresh basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, soy or rice parmesan cheese, and extra-virgin olive oil.  That's it- SO simple and really yummy!  For the salad you simply cook up some fusilli pasta and then throw in some diced yellow bell pepper, halved cherry tomatoes, and some pitted black olives.  Then you take some broccoli florets and sliced carrots and you cover them with boiling water for 1 minute.  Drain and rinse with cold water and add those to the pot as well.  Then you add the pesto and toss it all together- dinner (or lunch) is served!  It only took me about 30 minutes or so to throw this together and the flavors are delicious and so fresh- it simply tastes like summer.  I had leftovers for lunch today and still have more for tomorrow (it makes a HUGE batch!)- I can't wait for lunch tomorrow!

My rating- 9

No comments:

Post a Comment