Monday, July 30, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe 7- Pineapple Tempeh Kebabs

This was dinner for my family last night.  A great recipe for the summer because all the cooking is done out at the grill, so no heat is put into your house.  It's simple too, so it won't have you slaving in the kitchen all day either.  To begin you simply steam the tempeh for 5 minutes (you cut two 8 oz. pieces of tempeh into squares).  The steamed tempeh gets put in a sealable container with wedges of red onion, and triangles of green bell pepper, and pineapple.  Next comes the fantastic marinade.  I love this marinade- so flavorful and so easy.  Simply whisk together pineapple juice, olive oil, tamari, maple syrup, minced garlic, grated fresh ginger, chopped fresh mint, and some finely minced red onion.  Pour this on the tempeh and veggies, put on the lid and shake it up.  Refrigerate for at least an hour and you give it a good shake now and then till you're ready to grill.  When you are ready to eat simply put the tempeh and veggies on metal or wooden skewers (soak the wooden ones first, if using these) and then grill over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes per side.  Now for the verdict on these- I will start with my favorite parts- the marinade and the pineapple.  I LOVE grilled pineapple, that was my favorite part of the skewer!  As for the veggies, they were good too, but didn't soak up the marinade like the pineapple.  Now for the bad part- the tempeh.  I really liked it crumbled up in the quesadillas I made last week, but just in hunks in this dish, not so much.  In fact, I sort of had to muscle it down- just not a fan.  Another disappointment?  The tempeh really didn't soak up the marinade like I thought it would (and mine marinated for over 2 hours), so it didn't really taste like much.  I'm pretty confident this won't be a recipe I revisit often.   :(

My rating- 5

PS- Even though this recipe didn't float my boat, the marinade did, so I will probably use this again on it's own when looking for a great, quick, versatile,  flavorful marinade.

No comments:

Post a Comment