Thursday, July 26, 2012

Clean Food, Recipe 6- Tempeh Quesadillas

Another great recipe from Clean Food!  I made these exquisitely easy quesadillas last night for dinner.  These are completely vegan, I didn't tell my husband and he raved about how fabulous they were.  In fact, I think he liked them more than I did!  My two year old gobbled them up as well (and she's my pickier eater!)- so these are a real crowd pleaser.  So, here's all you have to do- cut 8 oz. of tempeh into pieces and steam for 5 minutes.  Once it's cooled you crumble it up and mix some salsa into it.  When you are ready to make the quesadillas you start by oiling a non-stick skillet and then you lay down a rice tortilla (found in the freezer aisle of your natural food store) on top of that goes some vegan cheese (I used Daiya cheddar-style shreds), then half of the tempeh mixture, some shredded romaine lettuce, and more vegan cheese.  Top that with another tortilla and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden and crisp and the cheese is melted.  Repeat that whole process again to make a second quesadilla.  It is literally minutes in the kitchen and you've got dinner.  It might not seem like this would feed many either- but this meal was a great bargain- I have a family of four and we had leftovers!  It was really filling and so satisfying.  If you are looking to make a meal that will please meat eaters and vegetarians, this is the meal to turn to.  It's also a great meal to make if you are new to vegetarianism or veganism and having a moment when you crave something indulgent- this recipe will do the trick- it's fantastic comfort food!  LOVED it!

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment