Sunday, July 1, 2012

Honorable Mention Recipe #6- Breakfast Bake

This recipe is from none other than Kim Barnouin again (can you tell I've been browsing through her cookbook lately?).  I actually made this for breakfast this morning (another great recipe to make on a lazy morning) and I am SO glad I did!  You start in a skillet with some grapeseed oil and some onion.  Once the onion softens you add in some garlic, diced russet potato, some chopped up soy sausage, and some chopped mushrooms.  This all sautes for a bit and then you spice it up with a bit of salt, pepper, dried thyme, and fresh rosemary.  Once you let the flavors all get to know each other for a few minutes you take this mixture and turn it out into a 13x9-inch pan (I lightly sprayed mine with vegetable oil spray to prevent sticking).  Then you pop it in the oven for about 25 minutes (at 400 degrees).  The last step is putting a bit of shredded vegan cheddar on top and baking for an additional 5 minutes until it melts.  That's it- not difficult AT ALL- really simple, but yet it has complex flavors.  This was SO flavorful and everything was cooked perfectly- I adore the flavors in this casserole- it's hearty and comforting- perfect for a brunch and perfect to make for meat eaters as well- you won't miss the meat, this is just as satisfying and maybe even more delicious.  I know I'll be making this again, for sure!

My rating- 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment