Sunday, July 1, 2012

Honorable Mention Recipe #4- Lentil Tacos with Fresh Salsa

Wow!  Do I ever have some catching up to do!  I was sick again and then on vacation- so I've been doing some cooking, but not a lot of writing!  I'll be getting all caught up tonight.  First up is this honorable mention recipe from Kim Barnouin's latest book.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe!  It's super easy to make- takes a bit of time, but most of that time is walk-away time while the lentils cook.  All you do is start with some lentils and onion in some boiling water- these cook until soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.  Then half the lentils go in a food processor with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomato paste.  The puree gets mixed with the whole lentils and this is your taco filling.  To serve with it you simply make a salsa with cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalepeno, lime juice, cilantro, and a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  SO SIMPLE!  Then you serve this with some shredded lettuce and avocado (I actually just mixed the avocado into my salsa- delicious!) in either heated soft corn tortillas or crispy taco shells (we picked crispy this time).  These are perfect for summer- so fresh and delicious and great on the waistline too- you won't feel heavy or weighed down after eating one of these and you get a great amount of protein and good fats with this recipe too.  I know this will become a quick and easy go-to meal- perfect for days when you don't want to exert much effort in the kitchen.

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment