Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Honorable Mention Recipe #2- Strawberry Shortcake

So, I have stumbled across another blog-worthy recipe from yet another vegan cookbook.  (Who knew there were so many out there?!?!)  This one is from Kim Barnouin's most recent cookbook- Ultimate Everyday Cookbook. (For those of you who are familiar with her popular vegan book series, you know who I mean.  For those who haven't heard of her series- just google her name and you'll find it.  It has a swear word in it and personally I don't swear because I think it makes women sound trashy, so I will just refer to this book in the future as the Ultimate Everyday Cookbook.Despite the name of her series, she does have some fantastic recipes and this is one of them.  Who doesn't love Strawberry Shortcake this time of year?  It's a must have recipe, right?  Now I can eat it vegan style with NO guilt!  (Okay, maybe a twinge of guilt because it does have some sugar and white flour in it- but just a little bit!For me, this is a truly seasonal dessert that I have made year after year (usually by making Bisquick biscuits).  This recipe really isn't all that different from the norm.  For the berries you simply mix up some sliced strawberries with a bit of evaporated cane sugar (just 1 tablespoon sugar per 2 cups of berries).  For the biscuits you mix unbleached all-purpose flour with some baking powder, evaporated cane sugar, and salt.  Then you cut in some cold, cubed earth balance (this is a vegan butter substitute).  In a measuring cup you mix almond milk and some vanilla extract and then this mixture gets added to the dry and VOILA! the batter is made.  I have 2 qualms with this recipe- the first being this- she has written this recipe as a cut-out biscuit, so she tells you to roll out the dough and cut the biscuits out with a biscuit cutter.  NOT HAPPENING KIM!  This batter was WAY too wet to roll out, so instead I decided to make them like the good-old Bisquick biscuits and just do drop biscuits (the recipe makes 8).  This worked really well!  I was happy with the result, but just confused how they could ever be cut-out biscuits- oh well.  They taste GREAT, so who cares about the method of making them?  Plus, it turned out to be easier to just do drop biscuits- a time saver! Serve these up with the macerated strawberries and some vegan whipped cream and you have a heavenly dessert that will bring back childhood memories.  These shortcakes are perfect- absolutely delicious!  If you make these though- I would double the amount of strawberries that you use.  I like mine filled with berries and didn't find 2 cups to be enough for 8 servings!  (That was my second qualm!)  I loved this so much I may make this again next week since our local strawberries are rolling in right now.............yum yum!

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment