Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 13- Baby Bok Choy Drizzled with Ume Vinaigrette

I have to say that while kale is my all-time favorite dark, leafy green, baby bok choy is a close second for me.  It is absolutely amazing and one of my good friends was kind enough to pick me up a bunch from an organic farmer at our local farmer's market a couple of weeks ago.  It was gorgeous- while I was wondering what to do with it I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to give it a try since I had all the ingredients on hand.  This is the easiest recipe from this book so far.  Simply steam the bok choy for 1-2 minutes and then pour on the vinaigrette (umeboshi vinegar, which you can find in the Asian aisle of your big grocery store or in an Asian market, and flaxseed oil- SO simple!).  She has an option of adding some Gomashio (an Asian condiment that I have yet to make or buy), but this was optional, so I left it out and instead just added some freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt.  A note about the salt- I should have tasted the Umeboshi vinegar before I added salt- it is actually very salty on it's own, so I ended up with bok choy that was a bit too salty.  Lesson learned- NO salt needed next time!  I love this recipe though- the simplicity of it is great, but it also tastes great too.  I've already made this version twice, but she also has a variation with leeks and cabbage that I plan on trying out next time- that sounds SO yummy as well!  One more quick note on this recipe- it's so beautiful and elegant- it would wow guests at a sit-down dinner party and no one will ever know it literally only took you 2 minutes to make it!  Now THAT's a recipe!

My rating- 10! 

No comments:

Post a Comment