Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 19- Basic Rice

I am happy to say that after reviewing this recipe I will be ALL caught up.  I made this last week in preparation for the Clean, Mean Burritos.  I STINK at making brown rice, so I was excited to see this basic recipe in this book, I was hopeful that it would solve my problem of mushy, stuck together brown rice.  To start, you rinse the 1 cup of brown rice (she says to rinse it once, but I rinsed it twice).  The next step is optional- you let the rice soak in fresh water for 1 hour or overnight.  I skipped this step since I didn't have that kind of time.  Whenever you are ready to cook the rinsed rice you simply drain it off and place it in the pot with 2 cups fresh water and a pinch of sea salt.  Bring it to a boil over high heat and then cover the pot, reduce the heat as low as it will go and let it rip for a full 50 minutes (no peeking!).  Let it sit a few more minutes off the heat with the lid still on and you are ready to eat.  Unfortunately, I have to say that I was still left disappointed- while I saw a marked improvement in the stickiness and mushiness in the rice, it still had MUCH more than I was hoping for- so I am still on a quest for perfect brown rice.  Perhaps next time I will soak it overnight- maybe that will do the trick.

My rating- 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment