Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 11- Whole Wheat Biscuits

I have to start by specifying what type of biscuits these are.  These are not dinner rolls, they are breakfast biscuits.  The kind that you roll out and cut out with a biscuit cutter and serve with jam and butter or in the South with sausage and gravy.  (Obviously, no butter, sausage, or gravy for me!)  Anyway, I served these up with some earth balance spread and homemade strawberry jam- yum!  They are very easy to put together- whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and sea salt get mixed together in a bowl.  Then you slowly add in some safflower oil until the mixture looks sandy and wet.  Then you gradually add in some plain rice or almond milk (soy would be fine too) until the dough comes together.  Knead it a bit and then pat it out and cut out biscuits.  Bake these in the oven for only about 10 minutes and you've got breakfast biscuits!  So easy- this could even be done on a weekday morning, it's that simple.  I liked these- they were good.  Not great, but good.  They were a little dense in texture and felt very heavy in my stomach, so next time I make them I think I'll do 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup spelt or unbleached all-purpose flour, in an effort to lighten them up a bit.  (The recipe calls for 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour.)  The denseness is my only complaint, otherwise I thought these were a great alternative to your usually VERY bad for you biscuits.  I'm sure I'll be making these again- they'd be great for a brunch or tea party with girlfriends.

My rating- 8

No comments:

Post a Comment