Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 3- Cornbread

I LOVE cornbread and I was very skeptical when I came across this recipe for it in Alicia's book.  How could cornbread be cornbread with no butter, milk, or eggs?  It seemed an impossible task.  I really wanted to try it though, so I gave it a whirl.  Once again this was a breeze to make, just mix wet ingredients in one bowl (maple syrup, soy milk, safflower oil) and the dry in another (cornmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, sea salt).  Combine the dry and wet and you are done.  I made these in a muffin tin- I like the idea of having a perfect little portion size, this recipe will make 12 muffins.  They only take about 20 minutes or so to bake up and they will fill your house with the most amazing aroma.  I was hooked from first bite.  BEWARE!  These are seriously addictive!  I found myself thinking about them all the time- they are absolutely delicious and thanks to the maple syrup, they are sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth.  They don't need any earth balance spread- they are perfect on their own, absolutely amazing!  Even the texture is spot on- they are moist and tender.  If you prefer your cornbread on the savory side, I'd recommend cutting down on the amount of maple syrup.

My rating- 10!  (These are all I've ever wanted in a cornbread muffin!  I actually liked these BETTER than any other cornbread recipe I've made, just writing this makes me want to whip up a batch.  YUMMY!)

4 comments:

  1. Veganmomma is hot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, someone's a fan! I can't say that but, I do think that she's one talented woman and from the recipes list, one GREAT cook! Make's me wanna check out this "Vegan" thing!

    ReplyDelete