Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 12- Mom's Granola

Ok, I REALLY have a thing for oats because I love granola just as much as oatmeal cookies and oatmeal!  I used to make my own granola back in the day, but then started not to make it because of the calorie issue.  Yes, granola is caloric, but if eaten in moderation and made with healthful ingredients it can really be a healthy food to incorporate into your diet.  Make it from scratch and you'll always know what's in it!  The great thing about granola is that you can put whatever you want in it.  I followed the recipe this time, but next time I'll get a little crazy and switch things up a bit- switch the nuts and add some raisins or dried cranberries next time- you can really do whatever you want!  Another bonus- it's easy to make!  Simply toast some oats in the oven on a baking sheet for a few minutes, then mix them up in a big bowl  with maple sugar, wheat germ, shredded coconut, sunflower seeds (I used these, but she also suggests sesame seeds), chopped nuts (I used walnuts.  She also says you can use raisins, but I left those out this time.), safflower oil, maple syrup (or brown rice syrup, whichever you have on hand), and some vanilla extract.  This all gets tossed together, spread out on 2 baking sheets and put back in the oven for about 10 minutes.  Super simple and SUPER delish!  I have eaten this for breakfast everyday for almost a week now.  It makes a HUGE batch- enough to last up to a week, depending on how many people in your family will eat it.  Paired with some sliced banana or strawberries and some of whatever your fav non-dairy milk is- this breakfast is hearty and oh so good!  If you are a granola nut (or even if you aren't, for that matter), you MUST try this recipe!  I love it!

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment