Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 20- Crocodile Crunch

Okay, so I lied- I actually will be caught up after THIS recipe!  I decided to make breakfast for dinner tonight.  It's been hot outside and I don't feel like cooking, for starters, but it's also just me and my girls tonight and I thought this sounded like a fun thing to make for us all to chow down on.  What kid (or adult, for that matter) wouldn't at least want to TRY something called Crocodile Crunch?  You'll see why it's called that later (it's the secret ingredient!).  First things first- you start by chopping up any variety of fruits you want into bite-sized pieces.  I used kiwi, strawberries, banana, and apple.  She also suggests using avocados, pears, or mango.  Just make sure you choose sturdy fruits that can stand up to a sauce.  Mix up all the fruit in a bowl and then you make the sauce.  This is the secret- spirulina.  This super food powder is what turns this dish it's crocodile green color.  To start the sauce you mix the spirulina with some hemp milk.  Then you add in some almond butter, followed by some maple syrup and freshly squeezed orange juice.  This is your sauce and it gets poured down all over the fruit.  Mix it up to coat it all and then you top the mixture with some dried coconut and kamut flake cereal (I actually ONLY had some oat flake cereal on hand, so that's what I used).  Divide into bowls and serve it up.  What could be more refreshing at the end of a hot day then a bowlful of fruit?  Not much, and when it's a funky green color, it doesn't get much cooler than that!  Now for the taste test- WOW!  I have to say that with it's deep green color it does almost look more like a science project gone bad than food, but once you taste this you will be instantly IN LOVE.  It is SO good for you, but you wouldn't really know it- it tastes like a dessert and it's got crunchy and soft textures- the combo of flavors is superb.  I am in love with this and will be making it often this summer- it's also a great way to use up nature's bounty of fruits in the summer- make a big batch of this and watch it disappear!  AMAZING!

My rating- 10!

PS- My 4 1/2 year old really liked this recipe, but my 2 year old?  Not so much- the green color really freaked her out (plus she is my picky eater anyway).  I'll just keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment