Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 14- Crispy Peanut Butter Treats with Chocolate Chips

Last night I noticed that I had run out of my homemade treats and I decided that I better get to making some more!  So, I whipped up a batch of these crispy treats.  Another ridiculously easy recipe to make, I had a dessert ready in no time (especially since these are no-bake).  All you do is melt some brown rice syrup on the stove top with a bit of sea salt, then you mix in some peanut butter until it melts and combines.  This mixture gets poured onto brown rice crisps cereal and you toss to combine.  Let the mixture cool to room temperature (this is challenging to wait, but you really need to- so don't skip this step!), and then once it cools off you add in some grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate chips.  Stir and then press the mixture into an 8x8 or 13x9-inch pan.  Let sit for at least an hour to set up and you've got dessert!  I made these in an 8x8-inch pan and I think that next time I'll make them in the 13x9-inch pan instead- these are HUGE when in the smaller pan, and harder (I think) to control the portion size.  That being said, they are VERY good- really sweet, so if you have a sweet tooth you will love these and the peanut butter flavor is so yummy- just enough without being too overpowering.  I do have to say though, that I'm not a big fan of rice crispy treats (which these can be compared to), so these aren't my favorite dessert out of the ones I've made so far in this book.  I'd rather make a batch of the oatmeal cookies or peanut butter cups before these again.  Alicia includes a variation in the book for Almond Raisin Bars, so I'll definitely be giving these a try too- they would be a tad healthier since they don't have chocolate.

My rating- 8

No comments:

Post a Comment