Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 18- Clean, Mean Burritos

I have to start by saying that we are not big burrito eaters in my house.  That being said, I think we'll eat them more often now that I have found such an easy, clean recipe for them!  These take a little forethought to put together, but are really very simple to do.  First you make a batch of brown rice.  (That's the forethought part- you can even make the rice the night before if that's easier for you.)  Once that's made you can start getting the burritos together.  I fancied them up a tad- her recipe just calls for cooked beans (I used kidney beans), but I decided to heat them in a skillet with a bit of water and mash about half of them up.  I also added a bit of garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper to the beans to spice them up a bit.  To assemble the burritos I simply put a little bit of the brown rice in the center of a tortilla with some of the bean mixture.  Then I added chopped cucumber, avocado, shredded lettuce, and chopped cilantro and rolled that bad boy up!  Serve them up with some vegan sour cream and maybe a bit of salsa and you have dinner.  I love this recipe because it's simple, clean, delicious, AND a complete meal in one cute little package!  You get your protein, carbs, and veggies all in one!  I love that!  These are also excellent as leftovers for lunches- so you'll be sure to use up all the leftover ingredients- no waste!  I know I'll make these again this summer- they are filling without being heavy- perfect for the nice weather.

My rating- 9

No comments:

Post a Comment