Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 17- Chorizo Tacos

So, I made these tacos before I got sick and forgot to write about them!  I just realized I left them out!  These should not be left out either, because they were delicious.  Even my carnivorous husband loved these- he ate a ton of them!  I did have to improvise a bit with this recipe though.  The recipe calls for sliced vegan chorizo or taco crumbles and I couldn't find either one of those.  So, I bought some smart ground and just sauteed it up in a pan with some olive oil and  taco seasoning and created my own taco crumbles.  SO good!  The only other thing you need to do for this recipe is heat up some corn tortillas in the oven in a damp kitchen towel and chop up the condiments.  We had some shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, hot sauce, vegan shredded cheddar cheese, and vegan sour cream.  This was such a fun meal to make (especially if you have kids)- everyone can choose their own toppings and assemble their own tacos, and it's even better that it tasted great!  This literally came together in 15 minutes- perfect for a busy weeknight, and great for the summer because there's very little stove time.  If you use hard taco shells instead of the soft you can cut out even more oven time- there's no need to heat those.  I know I'll be making this again soon- it was a hit!

My rating- 9.5

By the way- these taste JUST like the real thing- if you don't tell, they'll NEVER know it's smart ground instead of ground beef!  My husband asked me a few times- "there's really no meat in here?"!

No comments:

Post a Comment