Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 4- Eggplant Chana Masala

This was one of the first dinners I made from this book.  It's easy to prepare and the ingredients are easy to find, so that was appealing.  I'm not a huge fan of chickpeas (which are the main ingredient in Chana Masala), but I DO love eggplant, so I decided to make this one.  It only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish- great for a busy weeknight.  Garlic, onions, curry powder, and cumin all get sauteed in some olive oil to start.  This is SO aromatic and exotic- the scent of this dish will just take you away- it's a transport meal, I love those kinds of meals.  Anyway, eggplant, chickpeas, canned tomatoes, and vegetarian chili all join the party and simmer away for about 30 minutes.  Once it comes to a thick, stewy consistency, it's done.  Stir in some chopped cilantro and you're ready to serve.  I served this over some brown rice, to make a complete meal.  For some reason, I just wasn't digging this recipe.  I was so excited about it because it smelled amazing as it cooked, but the flavor was lacking for me.  I might make it again and add some extra levels of flavor- perhaps some hot sauce to spice it up?  I can't put my finger on it, but something was missing.  The eggplant was also very bitter in this- so I suggest salting it for about 30 minutes before using it in the recipe. 

My rating- 6

No comments:

Post a Comment