Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 8- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

I have to start this by saying- who doesn't LOVE peanut butter cups?  These used to be an obsession of mine and still remain a temptation so when I saw a vegan recipe in this book for them I was totally psyched!  These are SO easy to make that I've actually already made them twice!  The first time I made them for my family and last weekend I made them for dessert for a cookout with some friends of ours.  These will easily please vegans and non-vegans alike.  In fact, if you don't tell, they'll never know!  To make them all you have to do is melt some earth balance butter and crunchy peanut butter in a pan on the stove.  Add in some maple sugar to sweeten (this is found in the natural foods aisle of your grocery store, or at health food stores), and some crushed graham crackers and the filling is done.  (One note- if you like more of a salty/sweet contrast in your peanut butter filling, simply add in a pinch of sea salt.)  This mixture gets poured into muffin tins (with the liners in place) and then you make the chocolate topping.  It's SO simple- just melt some grain-sweetened nondairy chocolate chips with some plain soy, rice, or nut milk and pour on top of the peanut butter mixture in each cup.  If you wish, top them with some chopped nuts and then chill for at least 2 hours.  (I found that overnight is really the best way to go- if you can stand waiting that long to eat one!)  When I made these I did nuts on half (the recipe makes 12) and no nuts on the other half- this way you please the adults and kids, since kids can sometimes be weird about nuts on top of their treats.  My non-vegan husband and kids LOVE these- they disappear VERY quickly every time and our guests really liked them too.  This will be a staple treat in our home- this recipe is amazing, a true home run!  Thanks Alicia!

My rating- 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment