Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 7- Sicilian Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins

One of my favorite things in life right now are dark, leafy greens.  I could literally eat mounds of them everyday- they are SO good!  I don't normally pick collards though, so this was a departure for me.  (My favorite is kale.)  Anyway, I made this recipe on the same night I brought the Barley Casserole over to my parents house for dinner.  This was one of the fastest side dishes to make- it comes together in about 10 minutes!  It's just some collard greens, toasted pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, raisins, and balsamic vinegar.  So simple and rustic.  I have to say that collards are a bit bitter for me, I prefer the more subtle flavor of kale or bok choy, but it was good.  Not my favorite recipe for dark greens, but I'll give it a try again.  I wasn't a huge fan of the raisins in the dish, so I may omit those next time.  Alicia also recommends swapping out pine nuts for pumpkins seeds and the balsamic vinegar for shoyu for an even healthier side dish.  I might try it that way next time and omit the raisins, I just found them to be too sweet.  These greens weren't a huge hit with the family either.....bummer! 

My rating- 5.5

No comments:

Post a Comment