Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Kind Diet, Recipe 16- Rustic Pasta

Hello all!  I am so sorry that I haven't had any new posts in awhile, but I was dealing with sickness last week and just couldn't handle one more thing.  I am feeling MUCH better this week and started off the week great with this pasta dish for dinner last night.  It wasn't the best day to be making pasta (it was 85 degrees outside), but I had to make this since I had all the ingredients already.  So, despite turning my house into a sauna, I set to work on making this wonderful recipe.  I must say that this is a keeper.  I think this recipe is brilliant because you use only 1/4 pound of pasta, but you end up with this HUGE pot of pasta that will easily feed a family of 4.  The trick?  You add 1 full head of shredded cabbage!  The cabbage mimics the shape of the pasta (that is, if you use spaghetti like I did), and it really bulks up the dish.  It turns out that this was actually a great recipe to eat on a hot day because you end up eating mostly veggies and only a little bit of tummy-filling pasta- genius!  It ends up being filling, but light- I didn't feel stuffed after eating it.  So, all you do for this is saute some onions in olive oil to start.  Add in some garlic and celery and once those soften a bit you add in some shoyu (this is a type of soy sauce found in the Asian section of your market), garlic powder, sea salt, the shredded cabbage, and some marinara sauce.  That's it!  It was SUPER simple and so delicious.  We were in a hurry last night, so I just served this on it's own, but it would be great with a side salad and some fresh, homemade garlic bread.  I think that's what I'll do next time- YUMMY!  I cannot say enough about this dish- I just love it!  Oh, and even more important- it tastes fantastic!  Easy and it tastes great?  It's a no-brainer- this will be in my rotation!

My rating- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment